When you submit your assignment on Moodle, your submission may be subject to a Turnitin Similarity check.
Turnitin is a similarity checking service. It is not a plagiarism detection system!
Therefore, TurnItIn is used to detect similarities in submitted work on Moodle.
It does not judge whether a student submission has been plagiarised!
Here are some tips and things that you should keep in mind when making your submission:
- Upload your assignment early to get your similarity reports on time, so that you can use them to improve your assignment submissions.
- After the third upload, Turnitin similarity reports will become available after 24 hours.
draft copies of your assignment into the same dropbox in which you will
upload the final submission. Then delete the previous draft file and
upload the final file. Draft copies of the submissions are removed when
you delete the file.
- Never share your assignment files with others. It will increase the chance of getting a high similarity index.
- Never upload your assignment in the dropbox for another course. This will result in a high similarity index.
- When working in groups, only have one group member upload assignments on Moodle (even for draft versions). Have the same group member upload the assignment each time. This will ensure your similarity index is kept low.
- Anything added to the TurnItIn repository cannot be removed, even if it is deleted from Moodle!