UU100A - Information Literacy Module
Dear Staff & Students:
As per the approval of USP Senate, students enrolled from S1, 2014 onwards in either of the following:
- Bachelor of Engineering (BE) programme
- Single/Double major in Accounting (AF)
- Single/Double major in Computing Science (CS)
- Single/Double major in Information Systems (IS)
- Single/Double major in Electrical Engineering (EE)
are exempted from doing the UU100 course but will have to successfully complete the Information Literacy Module (UU100A) before progressing to their 2nd year of studies. Please note that UU100A is mandatory for the programme/majors mentioned above.
The exemption also applies to any Bachelor of Engineering (BE) or BCom - Accounting and Information Systems (AF & IS) major student enrolled in 2013. Students of BE or BCom – (AF & IS) major who have already successfully completed UU100 Pre-2014 are not required to do UU100A.
Please note that UU100A will have to be taken in addition to the normal 4 x 100level course per semester workload. In addition to the eight 100-level courses in the first year, UU100A will be required to be completed before you can advance to your second year of studies.
If you belong to any of the above mentioned programme/majors and are enrolled into UU100 then you need to immediately drop the course and register online or manually for UU100A. This also means that you will have to enrol in another 100level course in order to satisfy your 8x100level course requirement.
Students enrolled in all the other programmes/majors should not enroll in UU100A as it cannot be cross-credited for UU100. The exemption does not apply to certificate/diploma programmes as well.
The details of UU100A are outlined below:
We live in the “The Information Age” and every decision we make be it in the professional, social, personal or in the academic context is dependent on the information that we possess or are in pursuit of. Before information can be transformed into knowledge and used for effective decision making; its accuracy, completeness and quality should be critically evaluated and verified. This course is designed to address the broader imperative for students to develop their capacity to locate, access, evaluate and use information efficiently and effectively. These facets are closely aligned with the Research Skills Development (RSD) framework.
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) tools have been at the forefront of learning in recent times fostering the need for critical information literacy skills and competencies amongst learners at tertiary level education throughout the region. It has become increasingly clear that students cannot learn everything they need to know in their field of study within a few years at university. Information literacy equips students with the critical skills necessary to become independent lifelong learners and remains the primary reason behind the inception of the Information Literacy module.
Fees, Mode and Schedule
The course is offered free of charge and will be offered in Online(O) Mode. There are in total seven topics covered in the course, namely:
1. Orientation and ICT Tools @USP, 2. Fundamentals of Information, 3. Search Strategies & Sourcing Information Online, 4. The Library Website, 5. Searching Databases Effectively, 6. Critically Evaluating Information, and 7. Web 2.0 Tools for Educational and Social Purposes. These topics will be delivered over a time-frame of seven weeks.
UU100A has been activated on SOLS (Student Online Services) for students enrolled in the above mentioned majors. Those students facing difficulty in enrolling online can also enroll manually by Monday the 28th of July, 2014. Please note that the course is offered in Semester 1 and Semester 2.
UU100A is offered through the School of Computing, Information, and Mathematical Sciences (SCIMS) – FSTE in association with the USP Library.
Should you have any further queries, please contact:
- Bibhya Sharma (Associate Dean - Learning & Teaching - FSTE) | Ph: 3232069 | Email: email@example.com
- Shaveen Singh (UU100 Course Coordinator) | Ph: 3232256 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gavin Khan (UU100A Course Coordinator) | Ph: 3232904 | Email: email@example.com
- Ravin Deo (Degree 1 Advisor - FSTE) | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org